If you find out that you social media network are overwhelmed by the smiley faces, hearts, animals, food, and other image-based characters, you’ll know the fact: emoji is “The Evolution of Language”.
Emojis are graphical representation of symbols and human faces in a colorful text format. It is very common to use emoji on Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype chats, Outlook emails and SMS messages.
Clearly, using emojis within messages, tweets, and all kinds of communication has become very popular, particularly on mobile devices where emoji buttons and keyboards have become quite ubiquitous.
A brief history of emoji
In the beginning, there were emoticons.
For the most part, these came of age as the 🙂 and 🙁 and 8-D of chatroom conversations in the 1990s.
These primitive gestures represented an important part of early netspeak: You could convey sarcasm by tacking on 😉 at the end of your message, or share your ambivalence with the ¯(ツ)/¯ face.
The first emoji were created in 1999 by Japanese artist Shigetaka Kurita. Kurita worked on the development team for “i-mode,” an early mobile internet platform from Japan’s main mobile carrier, DOCOMO. Kurita wanted to design an attractive interface to convey information in a simple, succinct way: for example, an icon to show the weather forecast rather than spelling out “cloudy.”
So Kurita sketched a set of 12- by 12-pixel images that could be selected from a keyboard-like grid within the i-mode interface, then sent on mobiles and pages as their own individual characters. Source: wired.
Emojis weren’t fully embraced by the masses until 2012 when Apple released iOS 6.
iPhone users quickly learned they could activate the emoji keyboard in iOS 6 to add fun smileys and tiny icons in their text messages.
The emoji movement expanded into regular use on all social network sites, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and others. Apple later introduced animoji, which are animated emoji in 2017.
What are The Most Popular Emojis Then?
- 😂 Face with Tears of Joy
- 😭 Loudly Crying Face
- 🥺 Pleading Face
- ❤️ Red Heart
- 🤣 Rolling on the Floor Laughing
- ✨ Sparkles
- 😍 Smiling Face with Heart-Eyes
- 🙏 Folded Hands
- 🥰 Smiling Face with Hearts
- 😊 Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes
Read more on: What Are the Most Popular Emoji Used?
But as a social media marketer, what if you’re working from a desktop and hoping to add an emoji or two to a message? Keep reading.
How to find emoji symbols on any device – The Little-Known Keyboard Shortcut
Emoji keyboards are built into all modern operating systems, so you can add emoji to any document where you could add any other text or character.
Option #1: For Windows: Touch keyboard
- Open the Touch Keyboard icon in the bottom right corner of your screen
- Click on the smiley face emoji icon on the touch keyboard
- Then emojis will show up and you can choose your emojis
Option #2. For Mac (emoji keyboard shortcut): Press command + control + spacebar
- Click on any text field
- Press Command + Control + Space
- Choose your emoji from the list
- Click to add the emoji to your text
Option #3 – Copy & Paste Website
On your phone and in most apps, just look for the universal smiley face or, if you have more than just one language and emoji keyboard enabled, the globe icon.
If you can’t find the emoji keyboard in iOS or Android, check your keyboard options under your device’s settings.
Popular Emojis & Social Media Symbols That Complete a Text Message
- The thumbs up emoji is a great way of saying “okay” or agreeing with someone to confirm a time for an appointment. 👍
- The 100% emoji is a great way of saying “I agree” or saying “Keep it real.” 💯
- Why type out “okay” when there is an emoji for it. 👌
- The “shrug” emoji is a great way of saying “I don’t know.” 🤷
- The “heart” emoji can convey love or appreciation of a person or a thing. ❤️
- The “fire” emoji is a great way of saying that something is awesome. 🔥
- The “thinking” emoji (🤔 ) is a great way of showing someone that you have to think about something over text or on social media.
Related articles for social media marketers:
11 Cute Ways To Say I Love You With Emoji.